New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Brussels

A week of Unfortunate Events here in Brussels.

I have no words to describe what has happened.  I'm not even sure how I feel about it - as if my feelings mattered on whit here which they most assuredly do not.   Let's just say that I'm still reflecting and leave it at that.

Today we went down to the center of the city - to the shrine (can I call it that?) in front of the Bourse. A rally was scheduled and then cancelled at the request of the authorities but people still showed up today at 2:00.

It was lovely. Very moving.  And a bit tense.

A fascist group tried to crash the event and were sent scurrying by the riot police and their water cannons.  Now THAT was satisfying to see.

A few photos. Enjoy today and your Easter Monday.











6 comments:

Blaze said...

Victoria I'm just seeing this now.. We read in Canada about the facists trying to crash a vigil in Brussels. I wondered if you were ther.

Stay safe my friend. My heart aches for you and your new city.

Anonymous said...

The aftereffects are long and debilitating. Paris and Parisians still haven't recovered, either. 'Courage', ma petite, à vous et à tous les autres.

Julia Gandrud (aka JuliaLikesFrogs) said...

How are you doing, a few months after the attacks?

Allou said...

Hallo from the North - I hope you are ok, I do miss your comments!
Best regards from Allou

Christophe said...

Hi Victoria,
You haven't posted in quite a while.
How are you doing?

Anonymous said...

My family lives in Brussels, I hope there is no repeat--especially as I visit again now for two weeks. And, also, merci/danke for the blog.