New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Some Citizenship Trends

Peter Spiro, author of one of my favorite citizenship books, Beyond Citizenship:  American Identity After Globalization has published this article in Opinio Juris:   Citizenship Round-Up: Nine Trends from 2013.

Yes, he talks about the rising number of Americans turning in their U.S. passports, but that is not all that is going on in the world of citizenship.  Some very interesting trends concerning dual nationality, denizens versus citizens, and the extension of jus sanguinas citizenship laws.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

It wouldn't surprise me if more and more people are becoming dual citizens. The world is becoming more accessible, and so that definition of 'home' is being stretched. My husband hopes to become Canadian, and once day I hope to become Hungarian. Our lives are a bridge across two countries, but also, two continents and a handful of cultures. It's a very good thing :)

Victoria FERAUGE said...

And so many of the impediments to dual or plural citizenship are simply gone now. And there doesn't seem to be any reason not to do it except for one and that is the signal it sends to the home government and homeland population. In my foray into politics when I was home last summer, the statement "I have not become a French citizen" garnered approval and I felt they were far more willing to listen to me once they knew that.