New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Eating My Words

Re-reading my last post it's clear that I had completely lost my Beginner's Mind.  Happily, I have readers willing to call me on it.  Over the last few days I read and finished Moneyball and I have to say it is a fine read.  Yes, it is much more than a story about baseball or sports - it's about value for money and why one can spend (and waste) a fortune and still not get the results one wants.  I recommend it though I still think Liar's Poker is the better book with Boomerang a close second.

Here is a PBS interview (courtesy of Just Me) where Michael Lewis talks about what he was trying to achieve in his Princeton speech.  I think this line is my favorite, "When you're asked to give one of these speeches, your first goal is really not to embarrass yourself."

As someone who has given a few speeches in her day, I know exactly what he's talking about. :-)

No comments: