Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun...

Friday, May 11, 2012

How Did French Expatriates Vote?

Another really splendid post over at Arun with a View about how French expatriates and dual nationals voted in the French presidential election.  This information comes from exit polls at the French consulates abroad.  Fascinating.  I won't spoil the read for you but here are just a few results that I thought were particularly interesting:

The race was close in Mexico: 47% for Hollande and 52% for Sarkozy.  The UK was another close one with Hollande squeaking by with a little over 50% of the vote. Germany, however, was a solid win for Hollande with 56%.

In the U.S. Sarkozy beat Hollande 61% to 39% but looking at the major cities you see a lot of variation.  New York and Chicago were solidly Sarko.  New Orleans was a Hollande win.

And in my hometown of Seattle?  255 votes for Hollande and 343 votes for Sarkozy.

How did that happen? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victoria, the numbers reported are the actual results from the foreign polling stations, which can be seen in the table I linked to.

Arun

Victoria FERAUGE said...

Again, Arun, that was a fantastic post.

I felt my age when I peeked at the numbers you linked to - the format was almost too much for aging eyes (I need to get my bifocals adjusted). I think I'll print it out.

What surprised me was to uncover my own unjustified assumptions about how the French population in Seattle would vote. I just though that most, of course, would be for Hollande since Seattle is a pretty left-leaning kind of place. Clearly I was incorrect. A good lesson for me to keep the Beginner's Cup always half empty and not to make judgements before prior investigation.

Victoria