New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's a Long Long Road to La République

Place de la République to be precise.
I headed into Paris today to work on a project with a friend and we had agreed to meet at our school which is in the 11th district near the rue de Temple.  Every time I visit the area I'm struck by how much I love this part of the city which is, frankly a bit scruffy.   Scruffy but lively.  This is where I met and had a very long and illuminating conversation with the Class War Experts.  They weren't there today but I had something in compensation for their absence - a rousing "manifestation" (excuse for a party) in support of something (or someone) but I couldn't tell what (or who).  Very festive.


So I wasn't sure how to react to the news that the Place is undergoing a facelift.  The beautiful statue of Marianne is surrounded by ugly green barriers and there are wires obstructing one's view of this magnificent monument.

The lady has been standing here since 1883 so maybe it is time she was tidied up a bit.  The graffiti on the lion, for example, really does have to go.







Not far from Marianne is another lady.  This rather odd statue stands in a park and I used to walk by her every day when I was going to school in the area.  I have absolutely no idea who she is or what she represents.  If anyone knows, please feel free to clue me in.








And, finally, one of my very favorite churches in Paris: the Eglise Sainte-Elizabeth de Hongrie.



2 comments:

Jackie Brown said...

C'est cela qui me désole à Paris : les graffitis sur les monuments et les immeubles anciens. Merci pour ces belles photos.

Victoria FERAUGE said...

Tout à fait d'accord.

Je vous remercie d'avoir fait une petite pause chez le Flophouse aujourd'hui.

J'étais dans le meme quartier aujourd'hui et j'ai découvert les Écluses du Temple. Photos à venir....

Victoria